Garage Door Torsion Spring Replacement: Everything You Need to Know
Let’s face it – we all take our garage doors for granted. It’s only when they malfunction that we truly realize their importance. One of the main culprits of garage door issues? The torsion spring. But fear not, we’ve got you covered on everything you need to know about garage door torsion spring replacement.
Understanding the Role of Torsion Springs
- What are they? Torsion springs are tightly wound springs that lift the majority of your garage door’s weight.
- Why are they crucial? Without functioning torsion springs, your garage door can become imbalanced or too heavy to lift manually or even by the garage door opener.
Signs Your Torsion Spring Needs Replacement
- Door doesn’t open completely: If your garage door is stopping halfway, the springs may be the issue.
- Loud noise when operating: A sudden loud bang might indicate a spring has broken.
- Visible gaps: A broken spring might show gaps in the coils.
- The door is crooked: When a spring breaks, one side might lift more than the other.
Why You Shouldn’t DIY
Tempted to save a few bucks and replace the garage door springs yourself? Here are reasons why you might want to rethink that decision:
- Safety concerns: A torsion spring is under extreme tension. Incorrect handling can result in injury.
- Specialized tools: You need specific tools to replace garage door springs, which are typically not found in the average homeowner’s toolkit.
- Experience counts: There’s a technique to winding and unwinding springs. Doing it wrong can damage the door further.
The Process of Replacement
- Safety First: Ensure the garage door opener is unplugged, and the door is secured with vice grips.
- Unwind Old Springs: Using winding bars and a wrench, slowly unwind the springs.
- Remove Springs from Brackets: Once the tension is released, remove the springs from brackets.
- Install New Springs: Slide the SGD Springs into place, making sure they’re the right size and type for your door.
- Wind the Springs: Apply tension to the new springs, winding them correctly.
- Test the Door: Ensure everything works smoothly.
The Cost Factor
When considering garage door torsion spring replacement, the cost is always a concern. But how much should you anticipate spending?
|SGD Springs||$20 – $50 each|
|Labor||$100 – $200|
Prices are averages and can vary based on region and specific requirements.
Understanding the Lifespan of Torsion Springs
Your garage door’s torsion springs aren’t eternal. Over time, with the daily ups and downs, they wear out. But, how long can you expect them to last?
- Average Lifespan: Typically, garage door springs last between 7 to 9 years with average usage.
- Factors Influencing Lifespan:
- Frequency of Use: The more you use your garage door, the faster the springs wear out.
- Maintenance: Regular lubrication and inspection can extend the lifespan of your springs.
- Quality of Spring: Not all garage door springs are created equal. Opt for high-quality ones, like SGD Springs, to ensure longevity.
Regular Maintenance: The Key to Spring Health
One can’t emphasize enough the importance of regular maintenance when it comes to garage door components, especially the torsion springs.
- Regular Inspection: At least once every few months, visually inspect the springs for any signs of wear or damage.
- Spotting the early signs: Rust, loose coils, or gaps indicate it’s time to consider a replacement.
- Lubrication: Applying a silicone-based lubricant every six months can prevent rust and prolong the life of the springs.
- Procedure: Clean the springs with a soft cloth, then apply the lubricant evenly.
- Professional Check-ups: An annual check-up by a garage door professional, especially from reputable service providers like Superior Garage Door Repair, can help spot issues before they escalate.
Remember, timely maintenance doesn’t just save money in the long run, but it also ensures the safety and smooth operation of your garage door.
Why Choose Superior Garage Door Repair?
Now, if you’re from Minneapolis or even nearby in garage door repair St. Paul, MN, and you’re wondering where to turn for help, let me share a little secret: our team at Superior Garage Door Repair is your best bet.
Why? Here’s why:
- Expertise: With countless torsion spring replacements under our belt, we know the ins and outs of the job.
- Quick Service: We understand the urgency when your garage door is malfunctioning, and we strive to provide swift resolutions.
- Quality Materials: We don’t skimp on materials. Our SGD Springs are durable, reliable, and built to last.
In conclusion, garage door springs might be small, but they play a pivotal role in the functionality of your garage door. When the time comes for a replacement, don’t take risks with DIY. Trust professionals like us at Superior Garage Door Repair to handle the job with expertise, ensuring safety and longevity. So, if you’re in Minneapolis or garage door repair St. Paul, MN, give us a call. We’ve got your back!