The garage door is a crucial asset to every home. Apart from securing your vehicle, it enhances the curb appeal of your property. But it becomes a serious matter of concern when you will find that the garage door spring has broken. Under these circumstances, you will have two options. Either you need to park your vehicle outside or fix the broken spring. But before we discuss this topic, let’s know the importance of garage door spring in the following passage.
The importance of garage door spring
The garage door spring plays a vital role in the functioning of a garage door. With its help, you can move the door with ease. Otherwise, it would be difficult to lift the garage door without a spring. Therefore, if you identify a broken garage door spring, you need to fix it as early as possible.
Now, the question is how to identify a broken garage door spring. Well, check out the following points to know this.
That is how you can identify a broken garage door spring
You can find a broken garage door spring if you notice the following signs.
- There will be a gap in the middle of the torsion spring.
- The door will fall while shutting.
- The top of the door may bend.
- The garage door will give a jerk if one of the springs breaks.
However, the only way to fix this problem is to replace the spring with a new one. But you need to establish the type of it first to measure accurately.
The garage door comes with two types of spring. These include extension spring and torsion spring. Now, let’s know about the way of their replacement.
How to replace the extension garage door spring?
- At first, you need to disconnect the garage door opener to allow it to remain closed. And use C-clamp to open the door and secure it while releasing tension in the spring. It can make the process of removing the spring from the track easy.
- After that, you need to disconnect the safety cables from one end to re-install the components and install the new pulley following the order of detaching them.
- But there are not any pulleys in the one-piece door. You only need to replace the old spring.
What to do with a broken torsion garage door spring?
Replacing the torsion garage door spring can be dangerous. But if you understand the mechanism of spring and follow each step, the process would become fast and easy.
- At first, you need to deal with the spring tension. If the spring is under pressure, the best way is to unwind the spring. Then rewind and secure it.
- It is a must to use the appropriate tools to do this task. The winding cone comes with four holes that can help you regarding unwinding and winding.
- Insert the winding bar to rotate the cone. Then you have to place another bar in the next hole when the cone reaches its quarter way. It will help you turn the cone with ease. These two bars will help you release the tension on the spring.
- You have to unload the spring with the help of these bars. And disconnect it from the pulleys and central rod bracket while sliding these off the rod. After that, you can replace the garage door spring and re-install the elements.
If you do this task on your own, you may not get an expected result. That is why it’s better to contact a garage door company. The professionals can replace the garage door spring accurately.
Superior Garage Door is a reputable garage door company. Our certified technicians are well aware of garage door intricacies. You can rely on us to get the broken garage door spring fixed. We offer same-day garage door service. To get more details and to request a free quote, please call us on 612-400-8848.