The garage door opener is one of the most crucial parts of a garage door. It’s a device that makes people’s life easier. But it can be frustrating when the device is not working properly. Well, as a property owner, you must be well aware of the common problems regarding the garage door opener. It will help you take immediate steps to resolve any issues immediately. However, this blog has discussed this topic. So, keep on reading!
The problems related to the garage door opener
Check out the following points to know about the common problems of a garage door opener.
The garage door is not closing properly
There are three reasons why you may face this problem. These include:
- The close limit switch needs adjustment. The garage door comes with set limit switches. It instructs the motor when to stop running. Therefore, if the switch is set wrong, the door will not close. And the garage door opener will pull back when you want to close the door.
- The safety sensor may need realignment. You might have seen it near the base of the door track on both sides. These electronic eyes require a clear line-of-sight between them. It helps the door to work flawlessly. But the door will not close all the way if the sightlines are not clear between the eyes.
- Another reason is damaged rollers. It binds the garage door in the track. But replacing or lubricating the rollers will solve this problem.
The door refuses to open all the way
If the garage door is not opening all the way, it may be due to the following reasons:
- There is a limit switch for closing and opening the door. But if you can’t open the door, it may be the switch that you need to move towards the motor. If this motor is too far from the up-limit switch, it will prevent the door from opening fully. Hence, you need to move the switch closer to it.
- The damaged rollers can also cause this problem. It may face trouble while rolling well. That is why you need to check these regularly and lubricate to make functional.
The motor is running even after closing the garage door
The motor of a garage door opener should stop running after you close the door. But if you find that the device is still running, it means there is a problem in the up-limit switch. Hence, you need to set the right distance between these two. But sometimes this approach can’t eliminate this issue. Then you have to move the switch little by little and continue until the motor stops running.
The door reverses before it touches the floor
Two possible reasons may lead the garage door to reverse before it touches the floor. These include:
- The garage door opener comes with an adjustment screw. It controls the closing force. However, you may face this issue if there is any problem in its setting. With the changes of it, the amount of friction required by the door to shut off the motor changes. Therefore, if the setting is off, the little bit of friction will make the opener think that the door has reached the floor.
- Rusted or damaged rollers may also cause the same problem. It makes the door opener to stop prematurely.
The garage door is not opening in the winter
The temperature of winter sometimes prevents the garage door from opening. If it happens, pay attention to the screw on the motor and adjust the sensitivity.
The cold weather sometimes makes the rollers stiff. As a result, they are unable to work. Hence, you should lubricate them to make these functional.
The door sticks while opening and closing
Your garage door may get stuck while opening and closing. And this issue takes place due to the problem of the tracks. So, make sure you have made it clear and free from debris. The dirt in the tracks resists the garage door to move. But if the problem still exists, it may be due to the rusty rollers.
You may not get success if you want to resolve this problem on your own. Hence, it’s prudent to call the garage door experts. They can handle any garage door intricacies.
We, Superior Garage Door, can help you in this respect. Our experienced professionals are well aware of the garage door opener problems. We provide the same-day garage door service. So, call us right now! We will be happy to assist you.