The garage door might seem like a simple contraption, but behind its efficient opening and closing lies a complex system. Central to this system are the springs. But how do you determine type of garage door spring? Let’s dive in.
Types of Garage Door Springs
Torsion springs, typically mounted horizontally above the garage door, rely on torque to lift the door. When the door closes, these springs wind up, storing energy. As you open the door, the springs unwind, releasing the energy to assist in the lift.
Characteristics of Torsion Springs:
- Mounted above the garage door opening
- Uses torque to lift the door
- Usually lasts between 15,000 – 20,000 cycles
Unlike torsion springs, extension springs expand and contract to provide lifting power. They’re mounted on either side of the door and stretch horizontally.
Characteristics of Extension Springs:
- Situated on either side of the door
- Expand and contract to assist door movement
- Tend to have a shorter lifespan than torsion springs
Table: Quick Comparison Between Torsion and Extension Springs
|Feature||Torsion Springs||Extension Springs|
|Placement||Above door opening||Side of the door|
|Lifespan (cycles)||15,000 – 20,000||Less than torsion|
How to Safely Check Your Garage Door Springs
Before inspecting, ensure the garage door is closed. Avoid touching the springs directly as they are under immense tension.
Look for the spring’s mounting placement and mechanism. As mentioned, torsion springs are above the door opening, while extension springs are on the sides.
With the garage door opener disengaged, try lifting the door halfway. If it stays in place, your springs are likely in good condition. However, if it falls rapidly, you might be dealing with worn-out springs.
Determine Type of Garage Door Spring: Why the Type of Spring Matters
Understanding the type of garage door spring is more than just a fun fact. It helps in:
- Maintenance: Knowing your spring type aids in routine checks.
- Repairs: In case of damage, you can inform repair professionals in advance about the spring type, ensuring a quicker fix.
- Safety: Different springs come with different safety concerns. Awareness reduces potential accidents.
Leave It to the Professionals
While identifying your garage door spring type is helpful, repairs and replacements should be left to the professionals. Springs are under high tension, and incorrect handling can result in injury or further damage.
That’s where we come in. At Superior Garage Door Repair, we’re experts in all things garage doors, serving both Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN. With years of experience and a dedication to excellence, you can trust us to handle any garage door challenge with precision and care.
Factors Influencing Spring Lifespan
Garage door springs don’t wear out simply because of time. Multiple factors can influence their durability:
Frequency of Use:
The more you use your garage door, the quicker its springs might wear out. For instance, if you use your garage as the main entry to your home, your springs will experience more cycles and might need replacement sooner.
Climate and Weather:
Regions with dramatic temperature fluctuations can impact the longevity of your springs. Constant expansion and contraction due to temperature changes can lead to quicker wear.
Like any machinery, regular checks and maintenance can prolong the life of garage door springs. Lubrication, for example, can prevent rusting and ensure smooth operation.
The Importance of Balanced Springs
A balanced spring system is crucial for the proper functioning of your garage door. If one spring is more worn out than the other, the door might open unevenly, causing strain on the door opener. Regularly testing and ensuring that both springs offer equal resistance can prevent many potential problems.
The Dangers of DIY Spring Repairs
We live in a DIY era, and while there are countless tasks homeowners can tackle, garage door spring repairs shouldn’t be one of them. Here’s why:
- Risk of Injury: Springs store immense energy. An incorrect move can release this energy, leading to serious injuries.
- Improper Installation: Even if you manage to replace a spring, ensuring it’s installed correctly is another challenge. Incorrectly installed springs can lead to more damages or wear out quickly.
- Voiding Warranty: Many garage door warranties become void if non-professionals carry out repairs. You might end up incurring more costs in the long run.
Why Trust Superior Garage Door Repair
We aren’t just another garage door service. At Superior Garage Door Repair, we pride ourselves on:
- Experienced Technicians: Our team consists of skilled professionals who have years of experience dealing with all kinds of garage door issues.
- Prompt Response: We understand that a malfunctioning garage door can be a significant inconvenience. That’s why we strive to respond quickly and efficiently to all service calls.
- Genuine Parts: We use high-quality, genuine parts to ensure durability and smooth operation for your garage door.