Garage door springs are an essential component of your garage door system. They are responsible for lifting and lowering the heavy door, and they take on a lot of stress and may wear and tear over time. But how long do garage door springs last? The answer to this question varies depending on the type of spring, usage, and maintenance. In this article, we’ll discuss the lifespan of different types of garage door springs, the factors that affect their longevity, and the potential dangers of faulty springs.
Types of Garage Door Springs
There are two main types of garage door springs: torsion springs and extension springs. Each type has its own lifespan, and the longevity of your spring will depend on which type you have.
- Torsion Springs: Torsion springs are the most common type of spring used in garage doors. They are located above the garage door, and they are responsible for lifting the door with a twisting motion. The lifespan of a torsion spring is around 10,000–15,000 cycles, which is equivalent to 5-7 years of usage.
- Extension Springs: Extension springs are located on either side of the garage door, and they are responsible for lifting the door with a stretching motion. The lifespan of an extension spring is around 10,000 cycles, which is equivalent to 5-7 years of usage.
Factors that Affect the Longevity of Garage Door Springs
- Usage: The frequency of use of your garage door can greatly affect the lifespan of the springs. If you use your garage door multiple times a day, the springs will wear out faster than if you only use it occasionally.
- Climate: The climate in which you live can also affect the lifespan of your garage door springs. Humidity, heat, and cold temperatures can quickly become factors that affect the longevity of any garage door springs.
- Maintenance: Regular maintenance is important if you want your door springs to last as long as possible. This can be achieved with proper lubrication of the springs and by making sure they are in the right balance. Failure to do this for an extended period of time can result in them wearing out faster.
- Quality and grade of the spring: The grade of the spring will determine the quality. The lower the quality of the spring, the faster it will wear out, thereby reducing its lifespan. As a result, it is critical to ensure that you have the proper quality springs installed within your garage door system. You may want to contact our experts to ensure you have the right quality and grade.
Dangers of Faulty Springs
Faulty garage door springs can be dangerous and cause serious injury or damage to your property. If a spring breaks, it can cause the door to fall suddenly, which can lead to injuries or accidents. Additionally, a broken spring can also damage the door, the opener, and other components of the garage door system.
It is therefore advised that you extend your hands for help to a professional garage door specialist. If you are in St. Paul, MN, and require this service, then Superior Garage Door Repair is just the company to contact. Do not attempt to do anything with your door springs if you are not qualified to do so. There have been cases of serious injuries and even death because of improper handling of a garage door spring.
When Should You Replace Your Garage Door Springs?
If your springs are starting to look weak, it may be time to get replacements, and this should be done as soon as possible. Some common indications of this include:
- loud and squeaky sound whenever you open or close your door.
- door does not close completely or only partially
- Door misalignment or uneven operation
- Sudden jerky movement of your door
If you notice any of this, it is pertinent to contact a professional company like Superior Garage Door Repair to assess the issue and determine if a replacement is required. Ignoring these signs can be dangerous for you and your household, so do not hold back. Our professionals are always available in St. Paul, MN, to assist you accordingly.
It is important to note that garage door spring repair or replacement should only be done by a professional, as it can be a dangerous task and requires special tools and knowledge. Attempting to repair or replace the springs on your own can result in serious injury or damage to your property. At Superior Garage Door Repair, our team of experts has the experience and expertise to safely and efficiently repair or replace your garage door springs.
Don’t take the risk of dealing with faulty garage door springs. Contact us today to schedule your spring repair or replacement service. We’ll ensure that your garage door is working properly and safely, giving you peace of mind and the convenience of a fully functioning garage door system.